Saturday, November 21, 2015

Happy July!

Butler Basketball Camp (photo with BU guard - Kellen Dunham)


Our bounty from our garden - Do you see the secret word?


Summer fun!


Annual Rhubarb pie grown in our garden - we always take it to Cat and Jer's July 4th gathering at the lake.


COUSINS!






A quick trip home to Warren to take Grandma Young back home.

COUSINS!




On our drive home, we stopped in Columbus, Ohio at COSI (Center of Science & Industry)


















40 Reasons to Run:  Emily and I started a website to document our journey to running a marathon together at 40 years old.
https://40reasons2run.wordpress.com/



Here's what we've posted so far:

Foam Roller – our new MUST HAVE


4 Critical Foam Rolling Mistakes

image: http://cdn.womensrunning.competitor.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/calves-2-610×420.jpg


*Courtesy of RunnersConnect
Foam rolling can be the savior for injury-prone runners and those training extra hard — if used the right way. If not, you risk irritating, and possibly injuring, your body further.
To help you get it right, here’s a breakdown of the four most common mistakes I see runners make when using the foam roller.
Mistake #1: You foam roll directly on an injured area
It would seem to make sense that if your IT band is hurting then rolling directly on the IT band would help alleviate that trouble spot. However, the body doesn’t work this way for a number of reasons.
First, when it comes to foam rolling and myofascial release, constantly working the area of pain could create more inflammation and tension in the area, further tensing the muscles and fascia.
Second, where you feel the pain is not always the source of the injury. IT band trouble, for example, isn’t typically a result of the IT band itself being tight. Rather, IT band issues are typically a result of tightness in the muscle groups that attach to the IT band, like the gluteus maximus (your butt).
What to instead: Rather than constantly working directly on the area that causes pain, slowly foam roll your way away from the pain center to the connecting muscles.
Once you hit the attachment areas, work those thoroughly. Then proceed back to the area of pain and work gently at first. Visualize yourself “melting away” the tightness. Not only will you avoid inciting excess inflammation this way, but you’ll target the real source of your injury.
Mistake #2: You foam roll too quickly
Foam rolling hurts. Period.
Runners that know they should foam roll sometimes speed over areas because it hurts less than using slow, deliberate movements. Or, runners short on time will breeze through a session to check it off their list. Unfortunately, foam rolling quickly doesn’t accomplish the objective – releasing fascia and relaxing muscles.
What to do instead: While it feels better to go fast, and you do circulate blood flow, releasing fascia takes time.
Fascia is a thick, fibrous web of tissue. As such, it can’t be released with a quick pass of the foam roller. You need to be slow and deliberate in your movements. Once you find a sensitive area, slowly work back and forth over the spot. Again, be thoughtful and think of foam rolling like melting through the muscle and fascia.
Mistake #3 You stay on one spot too long
Ok, so this seems like a contradictory statement to mistake #2. But it’s not. Stay with me.
Runners take things to the extreme. Case in point; in college the trainer told me I needed to ice my achilles as much as I could when it flared up on me. I asked her how long between each icing was needed. She said 90 minutes. I set my watch to 1 hour and 45 minute intervals. Every 90 minutes I iced for 15 minutes. I did this all day 6 am to 10pm when I went to sleep. I woke up the next morning with freezer burn on my achilles.
That’s just a little story to illustrate I know how runners think.
With foam rolling, you’re instructed to work over and sometimes pause on very tight spots in your legs. I’ve seen runners take this advice and sit on the foam roller for 5 or 10 minutes, directly on the point of pain. However, staying on one spot for too long might irritate a nerve or damage the tissue, which can cause bruising and further inflammation.
What to do instead: Be gentle at first. Start with half your body weight, using your hands or other leg to adjust pressure, and slowly work into full body weight.
The maximum amount of time you should spend on any one area is 20 seconds or so. After this, you only risk irritating the spot more than you’re helping it. If you have a really troublesome area you can always come back for another session in the evening when the muscles has had time to relax.
Mistake # 4: You use bad posture and form
Foam rolling is hard work. I almost guarantee you’ll break a sweat.
The IT band position places almost all your body weight on your one supporting arm. Rolling the quads is basically the plank position. It’s easy to let your form deteriorate, especially if you are tired after a run. Your pelvis might drop from not having tight abs when doing quad work or your hips my sag while working the IT band. This can exacerbate existing injuries, form flaws or muscles weaknesses
How to prevent: Don’t approach foam rolling haphazardly. Stay focused on your form throughout your entire session.
If you find yourself too tired after a hard workout, come back to foam rolling after you’ve rested or maybe in the evening. You can also videotape yourself using your phone. It’s quick and provides immediate feedback after your session to see if you need to improve any of your positions.
If you need help with specific foam rolling applications and routines to treat your injuries, check our our Foam Rolling for Runners program. The guide includes detailed videos and instructions help you understand the “why” behind every movement and exactly how to execute so you’re confident you’re foam rolling correctly, avoiding common mistakes and you’re getting the most from your session.
Read more at http://,/#tZg2UosfY3AkKY0V.99

But we still RUN!


10 Reasons to Run Today!

image: http://cdn.womensrunning.competitor.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/i-love-long-runs-800×450-747×420.jpg


 
1. Run while you can. You don’t know how long you’ll love the sport, be healthy, be injury-free or have the time to train.
2. It’s free—mostly! Getting outside for a run doesn’t require a gym membership or entry fees. Just go!
3. It’s good for you. Running helps maintain a healthy weight and manage stress.
4. Two words = Carb Loading. Am I right? You get to do this thing called ‘carb­loading’ before a long run or race. That’s one of the main reasons I run.
5. You can make friends. Runners tend to be friendly people. There are tons of options to meet other runners at local groups, races or training message boards.
6. It makes you feel good. I feel really great after run. No matter where you are on your health journey, it feels amazing to get in a challenging run. You can feel fit and confident!
7. You time. I run solo most of the time and really treasure this ‘me time’. I truly enjoy zoning out or thinking about the people I love or figuring out life’s great mysteries.
8. Get better. More running and challenging training will help you get faster, better and stronger in your running.
9. It’s humbling. No matter how long you have been running, there are always those humbling runs that remind you it’s still important to push. It’s also still important to plan out smart training. You get to push yourself. You get to learn from your weaknesses and strengths.
10. It’s FUN!!! Come on—you know that time when you run is one of the best times of the day. It’s fun, sweaty, challenging, hard, familiar and just all around FUN
Read more at http://womensrunning.competitor.com/2015/08/run-eat-repeat/10-reasons-to-run-today_45331#oKAWg25HQM28hBYK.99

When you really don’t want to go….


How To Talk Yourself Into A Run When You Really Don’t Want To Go

image: http://cdn.womensrunning.competitor.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/shutterstock_291041117-630×420.jpg

Photo: Shutterstock.com

Published with permission from RatherBeRunnin”s blog.
My legs were a little sore after my lovely hill repeat workout on Wednesday. And I was super unmotivated. I talked myself out of both runs–for a total of 3 days of no running. Whoops. I decided to (once again) learn from the situation and make a list of ways to motivate myself to run (even when I don’t want to), and share it with you of course. You are welcome!
1. Put your running clothes on. This is the first step in getting yourself out the door. For me, the essence of running starts to seep into my pores through the workout clothes and I will eventually get it together. If not, at least you look like a runner instead of a lazy couch potato!
2. Look at your running schedule. How will missing this run affect your training? Will it significantly impact your weekly mileage? When is your next race? How many runs have you missed in the past? These are all perfect questions to
ask yourselfguilt trip yourself into sticking to your training plan.
3. What did you eat today? Did you have a hamburger for lunch? Or a bagel from the break room when you went to grab your morning coffee? Chances are the answer is yes and if that’s the case… You probably feel like running it off.
4. Go sit outside. Sometimes all you really need to do is pull yourself away from the TV or your iPad and motivation will come to you. Our electronics serve as a great distraction but can be de-motivating at times. Take a break, go get some air, and sit outside for a little bit. After long enough, I bet you will change your mind and decide to hit the streets!
5. Set a timer. I do this in the mornings before I head to the office and it will absolutely work here. Give yourself a certain amount of time to read, check out Facebook, or watch that baseball game, but once the timer goes off…it’s time to run!
6. Run your favorite route. Bribe yourself with an easy, beautiful trail…or try a new path you have been wanting to check out. Anything to coax yourself into hitting the pavement.
7. Download some new music. As I have said many, many times before…I can’t run without music. It is the only way I can make it through 2 miles, let alone 13 or 26! Create a new playlist and rock out on your run. Trust me, it will be awesome!
And last but not least…
8. Think about how much better you will feel when you are done. As the saying goes, “You are only one workout away from a good mood”. It’s true!
Read more at http://womensrunning.competitor.com/2015/08/blogger-on-the-run/how-to-talk-yourself-into-a-run-when-you-really-dont-want-to-go_45460#ymRH0wD4O1Zhqbx6.99

Because…learning

Emily here.  I’ve been noticeably absent from posts lately.  To be snarky, I could remind our readers that I’ve been running a ton!  But to be serious, I’ve been having trouble getting my head in the game, and don’t want to post anything negative.  The reality though, is that through a process such as marathon training, one just may have a few negative thoughts pop in her head.  Like, why the hell did I agree to this?  Or, I really want to sleep in!  But, I press on.  The good news is my legs, my feet and my heart are fully in the game.  So, instead of complaining, I’ll focus on some things I’ve learned.
  • I am a runner.  When asked, I always say no, and make self-deprecating comments.  Those voices have to stop.  I ran 6 miles yesterday morning and told people it was “only” six miles.  I’m a runner.
  • Post-run stretches are really important.  At least for me.
  • Good shoes are an absolute necessity.
  • Compression capris are my new best friend.
  • So is my new 40 dollar sports bra.
  • And 15 dollar non-Cotton running socks.
  • Don’t believe anyone who says running is cheap.
  • Practice can make me stronger, and healthier, but it won’t make me lose weight (hence some negative thoughts!)
There are days I want to just go to Starbucks and drink the calories I’d be burning on that 5 miler, or 9 miler, but I go.  I run.  Because I want to know what else this process can teach me.

Reason 5 – Learning how to stay healthy

This great article was given to me by Emily…I am deep into navigating pain as I am training (oh, this 40 year old body!)
I am off to invest in new shoes tomorrow (see #3) – hopefully my knees happy up!
5 Injury Prevention Tips for New Runners
Running is universally recognized as one of the healthiest forms of exercise and can yield powerful results for your body, making you more fit, healthier and happier. Once you get into the habit of running a few times a week, you’ll soon notice how quickly running can get you into shape. You might also notice that the high impact, repetitive nature of the sport can take its toll on your body. This is the point where many brand-new runners give up.
But if you’re patient and learn how to balance running just enough to progress without overdoing it, your body will start adapting and you’ll reap the benefits of improved fitness. Here are 5 tips to help you find that happy medium while also avoiding injury:
1. Progress gradually.
There are 2 main reasons people get injured from running: They run too much too soon, or too fast too soon. Even experienced runners who know this rule frequently break it while trying to push their bodies too hard. Start out slowly, and progress gradually.
One age-old rule is don’t increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% per week. This rule applies whether you’re trying to stick to a run/walk program, progressing to running 3–4 days a week or training for a 5K. Your muscles will adapt to the stress of running, but they need time to do so.
Another good rule to follow: Make sure your longest run of the week isn’t more than 50% of your weekly total. So if you’re running 15 miles total in a week, your longest run should be 7.5 miles max.
2. Rest and recover.
Proper rest is just as important as your training. You can’t improve if you don’t allow your body to recover. It’s a simple sentiment, but it can sometimes be tricky to execute. If you’re not used to running every day, don’t start a training plan that requires you to do so. Rest days are critical to keep you healthy while you progress toward your goal.
3. Buy the right shoes.
If you’re new to running and feel overwhelmed by the seemingly endless styles of shoes available, take a deep breath and read on. The first step to finding your perfect shoe is to figure out what kind of stride you have. If you’re a heavy “over pronator,” which is a term used to describe how the arch collapses as your foot contacts the ground, you may need a shoe with support. If you have a neutral foot strike, you likely don’t need additional support and can run in a neutral shoe.
The best way to determine what kind of foot strike you have is to seek advice from a knowledgeable source, like a salesperson at your local running specialty shop. There are dozens of support and cushion levels that vary from model to model and brand to brand. The best way to figure out what works best for you is to try shoes on and run in them. You should be able to find a perfect match with a little knowledge and patience.
4. Roll it out.
Post-run stretching and massage can help your muscles stay loose and prevent imbalances. Think of self-massagers like floss for your muscles. It’s a bit of a chore, but doing it every day can keep you healthy. How much you stretch and incorporate massage into your daily routine will depend on your body and how it adapts to the stress of your training.
5. Maintain balance.
As you increase mileage, it’s important to keep track of the other parts of your life that can cause stress and contribute to injury. Are you getting enough sleep? Are you eating enough calories (and the right type of calories) to keep your body fueled and energized? Are you eating a healthy, balanced mix of foods? These lifestyle decisions go hand in hand with your training.
You may not associate your diet with knee pain, but if your diet is poor, your immune system could be compromised. This can result in longer recovery time between workouts and eventually contribute to an injury.
Running is perhaps the purest form of exercise and can be one of the most enjoyable. To stay injury-free and running happily, remember to ease into your training, learn how to recover, buy the best shoes for your feet and, most importantly, maintain balance throughout your life.
Here’s the original article:
https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/5-injury-prevention-tips-for-new-runners/?native_client=1
By Evan Rudd
Evan Rudd is the Triathlon and Running category manager at SwimOutlet.com. He is a regular contributor to Triathlete Magazine, and competes in Ironman events.

Reason 4 – We can HEAVY BALL this marathon training!

IMG953908
This training has allowed me to think deeply during my hours on the trail…think about my “old me” – the one that was an athlete throughout my childhood and college years…I (Megan) played basketball – I played HS, college and even went on to coach College basketball.
I am 6’2.  I was a post player.  We would use a “HEAVY” ball during practice.  It’s a basketball – same size, same physical feel, just weighs 8 lbs!
So, we would throw that ball against the backboard and grab the rebound.  We would overhead outlet that heavy ball to our point guard who was on the wing.  We would jump in the air with the 8 lb ball over our head and try to reach as high as we could on a wall.  And, we would pass that heavy ball across the lane as hard as we could. (BOY, did my arms get tired!)
Guess what happened when you then replaced that heavy ball with a regular basketball?
YOU FELT LIKE SUPER WOMAN!  You could whip that outlet pass even farther, even faster.  You could out grab that rebound out the hands of an opponent.  Your outlet pass could go to half court!
I couldn’t help but think about those basketball days while Emily and I were doing a 5k race this past Saturday.
We were supposed to get in a 7 mile run that Saturday morning.  We signed up for the Street Beat – which was only a 5k (3 miles).  So, guess what we did?
We met at 6:30am and ran the extra 4 miles BEFORE the 5k.
It was a learning experience.
It was tiring and I got grumpy during the actual 5k because I felt tired, I was mentally weak, I wanted to eat breakfast….but, remember, we had just ran 4 miles right before it!
We concluded….we were using a heavy ball mentality.
And, guess what?
Our 5k was the fastest 5k either of us have ever ran!  (that was AFTER the 4 miles!)
We plan to continue extra miles BEFORE our races…because the GOAL is….once we hit the marathon, we’ve put in all the heavy training…we’ve ran when we were already tired…we’ve pushed through running in the rain…we’ve chosen to keep going, when it hurts or is frustrating…
Training is as much a MENTAL benefit to marathon training as it is a PHYSICAL benefit….just like that heavy ball.
And guess what? – WE ARE SUPER WOMEN!

VBS at Church at the Crossing


We begin our journey of taking JuicePlus+!


The annual Rivi Luau with the Hulens








Another summer day at the Rivi with Silas


We met up with the Salyards at the Columbus Zoo and Waterpark













We gathered with our barbershop friends for a fun summer Harmony Explosion at Anderson University.




Another day at the Rivi!


Spring Hill Summer Day Camp at College Park Christian Church





No comments: