Lent has always been something I try to use as a catalyst for denying myself things I enjoy - specifically chocolate and for the first time, last year, Facebook.
So I will now go 40 days without any chocolate (which is something I have nearly everyday of my life, except during Lent). I enjoyed a nice big slice of chocolate cake from Cafe Patechou http://www.cafepatachou.com/ as my final indulgence!
Last year, I decided to give up Facebook too. It was pretty easy and not that big a deal...but as I have become more home bound, due to more children, I feel FB is a very important way for me to stay in touch with those I care about (and even a few folks I haven't seen in person in years!) So this year, it will be much more of a stretch for me to not allow myself to click on the website or choose "social beat" on my cell to see how everyone is doing or to check if anyone cared about a comment on my status line....this will be quite a good practice for me these next 40 days...I may even have to resort to hand written cards in some cases!
Lastly, I actually ADD an action to my day to day...it's The Divine Hours. It's a wonderful book of meditation and prayer that requires readings 3 times a day. I find the practice a bit unrealistic for my life most days, but I did my best for 40 days last year and I think I can swing it again...we'll see.
Have a wonderful FAT TUESDAY! May you find something these next 40 days that you feel you need to take away or add to your life...all for the purpose of becoming closer to God (and for me, maybe lose a few pounds to boot!)

No comments:
Post a Comment