Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Happines Project: MARCH = Lighten Up!

Hello March!

This is the month where I plan to "Lighten Up!" for my Happiness Project.
I have found in my 5 odd years of raising children, that I DO NOT have all the answers to how to raise our kids.  You'd think after having 4 of them, I would have a bit of a plan, but to be honest...well, I'm just trying to keep this boat afloat most days.

The Happiness Project has a chapter on Parenting that I found quite useful -


so here are a few insights from the book that I hope to implement in our home:
  • Sing in the morning
  • Acknowledge the reality of people's feelings
  • Be a Treasure House of Happy Memories
  • Take time for projects
Some useful adjectives to define the "atmosphere" that I hope to create in our home this month:
Tender
Peaceful
Joyous
Cheerful
Lighthearted


And here are some insights that I thought were worth remembering - 

Preserve the happy memories.
The fact is, Life is more fun when I keep my resolutions.
Act the way I want to feel.
The days are long, but the years are short.
You're only as happy as your least happy child.
Denying feelings intensifies them; Acknowledging feelings allow good feelings to return.


SUGGESTIONS FOR ACKNOWLEDGING FEELINGS:
  • Write It Down - if Joey does not like clasp khakis, I"m going to "write that down"
  • Don't feel as if I have to say something - sometimes just holding them for a few minutes will get them through whatever is troubling them
  • Wave a Magic Wand - "If I had a wand, I'd make it warm so you didn't have to wear your coat!"
  • Admit a Task is Difficult - instead of "it's easy", try "this is tough, but I know you can do it!"

FAMILY TRADITIONS:
  1. ANTICIPATE IT (plan)
  2. SAVOR IT (enjoy it as it's happening)
  3. EXPRESS IT (talk about it)
  4. RECALL IT (capture in photos)

A few things I would like to add to my Happiness Resolution Chart for March and beyond:
No Word Wednesdays (add a photo of our life to the blog on Wednesdays)
TRACK my food intake on the fitbit website  http://www.fitbit.com/
Play Games


The BOOKS that I hope to read this month (most likely won't get to ALL of them!)






(This one is for our sweet girl, Morgan. - are ALL 4 year old girls "Spirited", or just ours?)










So, I"ve got alot of work to do!
I must say, I have already started using some of the tools from the Happiness Project with my kids and it's working!  That Magic Wand has been a good answer for Morgan and her constant need to dress as if it's 70 degrees outside...when it's 30!

And I have successfully given out "Good Morning Awards" both days this month - which is essentially me announcing, as if on stage, "Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, I am about to annouce the winners of the Good Morning Awards - going to those individuals who have had a great start to the morning through listening, obeying, getting dressed, brushing teeth and getting on our way without difficulty!"
APPLAUSE and loud booming announcements of the kids names seems to work quite nicely!  Who'd a thought?

I hope you find happiness this month - and if any insights from my readings and goal of implementation work for you too, let me know!

Happy March!  Let the Madness begin!

No comments: