Thursday, May 26, 2011

Jameson's Fish Oil Experiment

Our sweet 2 year old son, Jameson is not much of a talker. Actually, compared to his big brother and sister, he's practically mute.
So, when he reached 24 months in February, we decided we needed to start pursuing speech therapy.

We are involved in an amazing program called First Steps.
The program is funded by the state and assists families with children in need of therapy for minimal to no cost AND they come do therapy IN YOUR HOME.

We are so thankful that God placed Jenny, our amazing and gifted speech therapist in our lives and most importantly for an hour a week into the life of our son.

Per her suggestion, I purchased a book called The Late Talker.


Now, I have picked up my reading a little in the evenings, because of the Happiness Project I am doing, but this book was one I read in 1 night. I was dedicated to understanding our son's issues and willing to do whatever it takes to help him get his voice.



It's interesting, in the beginning of the book it lists some common things that parents are told by family, friends and even their pediatricians - we've heard them all too:

-Don't worry, he's just a late talker
-Uncle Eric didn't speak until he was four
-Einstein didn't talk until he was three
-He'll speak when he's ready
-His older siblings speak for him
-Just give him time

Well, although the advice had the best of intentions, there is still more that we can do...


In Chapter 8 of the book it talks about "Alternative Strategies: Nutritional Intervention"


So here's what we're going to do...
It recommends that you give your child Fish Oil.
Fish Oil supplements contain varying balances of Omega-3 LCP's, DHA, EPA, ARA, EFA, ALA and GLA (I am NOT going to type out what all those are - but they're good for you!)


So, I went to Good Earth (a local store that sells super good quality suppliments and everything else organic, even shoes, that are good for you) and invested in Coromega - orange flavored. It's a mushy pudding texture in individual sized servings of about 2 teaspoons per package.

I have been putting it into his orange juice in the morning since Tuesday.

From this point on, I am going to blog his progress and see if this little experiment works.

There is no clinical studies, no federally funded research on it's effectiveness...but parent after parent wrote of amazing results from the use of this "brain food" - we just need to get those synapses sparking in JJ's mind and this is a safe, harmless way to do it.

Here's the words Jameson could say before supplement (5/23/11):
HOUSE
CATCH
GO
OPEN
THANK YOU MOM
BOAT
PLEASE (peas)
QUACK QUACK (gack gack)
BLUE (boo)
BALL
BABY
MOM
REESE
UH OH
UH HUH
UH UH
TA DA
ROUND AND ROUND
UP
WEE-OOO (fire truck)
BUBBA
MO
BAMMY
BAMPY
JUICE
MILK
ME
JOEY (goey)
JACK JACK (gack gack)
GAWWY (daddy)
HELP
BYE BYE
MAMA
PAPA
NEIGH
PEEP
BEEP
BOO BOO
BUS
COOKIE
BUCKLE
OUT

Day 1 of Fish Oil New Words or Statements: (5/24/11)
EAT JOEY (goey)
EAT SISSY (gicky)
HI (usually just waves at neighbors but says nothing)

(5/25/11)
ROLL ROLL

We'll see where this takes us...it is just a small thing that may truly help our son...who'd of thought fish oil may be all he needs to get his voice :)


Joe, Megan, Joey, Morgan, Jameson and Baby Jackson!

No comments: