Our year was full of excitement, as usual.
We have definitely simplified and gotten focused on the ways we serve, live and love others.
I (Megan) feel this year has been one of consistency, routine, focus, discipline, service and friendship.
I feel like the daily laundry, getting in a run, engaging with my kids, dinner every night at 5:30pm as well as being mindful of my time spent with my friends, husband and family has become a refreshing, consistent endeavor. (clearly, we are out the baby phase!) I feel like even our travel, camping, family time, and all things that I coordinate within our family to ensure they run smoothly, have been much easier, with less stuff required, more independence on the part of the kids (packing their own bags, making their own breakfast, buckling their own seat belts) and more breathing room for me. (I must make mention that my parents moved here this spring - and that too, has dramatically lightened my load, as they are super helpful with the kids and have joined us to enjoy many of our fun adventures). I think another reason I feel less crazy busy, is we cut swimming from our weekly routine....so we only have one night a week where we have to be at piano lessons (for Joey), which means less rushing, more time at home, getting homework done and life is just less hectic.
My time has been spent in my third year of serving in a very fulfilling way at The Oaks Academy as a Co-Chair of our Family Tree Organization (FTO). It's kind of like a Parent-Teacher Association of other schools - but the main focus is on community building, teacher appreciation and for me, leadership development and finding/using the gifts and talents of our parents. This is suppose to be my final year as a Co-Chair, because if I've done my job, others can easily take over. It's such a blessing and I truly feel I am using my God given Talents and Giftings in serving our school in this way.
Another new way I serve at The Oaks is that I am the Head Girls Basketball Coach for both the Varsity and Junior Varsity basketball teams. (the FIRST EVER teams for girls!) I have 2 great Assistant Coaches and 19 girls who do their best, play their hardest and represent the Sum, Posum, Debeo, Ero philosophy of our school, daily. (I am, I can, I ought, I will.) I absolutely LOVE coaching again!
Joe is best described as BUSY. Entering his 10th year at IMPA, he has taken on some big projects and excels at everything he does there. On top of his full time job, he is well into classes for his MBA at Butler University. (IMPA has fully supported and funded this endeavor! Praise God!) It has him in classed a few nights a week with lots of papers and studying after the kids go to bed.
His barbershop singing (especially with Rip Chord, his quartet) has dwindled significantly, but he found a few opportunities to sing, perform and practice throughout the year.
He is coaching basketball again at the Oaks Academy for the JV A team - which is with 5th and 6th grade boys. It's amazing what a year can do - they are WINNING and competing at a high level and his team is truly talented, but his coaching is also creating a level of play and focus that has lifted this program to another level. Go Oaks!
If Joe isn't working, studying, coaching or singing - he's spending every minute with his kids while fixing, digging, moving or burning something around the house - in the name of Home Improvement!
He just amazes me. I am SO THANKFUL for him!
Joey (9 years old) is in fourth grade at The Oaks. He LOVES school. He excels in reading and math. He is a sponge with any topic that comes along. Fourth Grade focus is on the life of Jesus and Medieval times. He's taken a liking to plays, writing "books" and "scripts" on the computer, and overall creating dramatic stories constantly. He loves his teacher, Miss Budd - who is just a perfect fit for this boy's personality.
His favorite things are playing the piano (he's in weekly lessons), reading Percy Jackson books and just started the Harry Potter series, running, riding his bike, and listening to his HD radio and the Classical Music Station every night. His favorite TV shows are Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy.
Morgan (7 years old) is in Second Grade at The Oaks. She likes school - but more so because she gets to play, organize, lead, talk, and hang out with her many many friends. She is our social butterfly (I have no idea where she gets it!). :)
She is doing well with her reading, spelling, writing, and enjoys her teachers and classmates.
She is passionate in her story telling, and concerned and involved in the friendships and relationships in her life. She loves to create, cut with scissors, color, paint, play in mud, play in water and get messy. She loves being outside, barefoot, hair everywhere, gathering leaves, potting soil, digging in dirt and collecting rocks, feathers, tumbleweeds and shells.
We had an interesting challenge with her as she entered into 2nd grade....she is doing her very best to quit sucking her fingers (which became a hindrance to her school work), but we have created ways for her to overcome this weakness and she is now excelling in the classroom. With the support of her teacher and the accountability of a daily plan, she is slowly breaking this habit. I am proud of her.
Jameson (5 years old) is in Kindergarten at The Oaks Academy. We had a tough transition to 5 days a week of school. This sweet, tender hearted boy struggled with leaving his brother and I each morning and insists on still going half day a couple days a week. (by Thanksgiving break of years past, his older siblings were well into all day-every day, but not JJ)
He is rough and tumble, yet sweet and sensitive. He is a servant - always listening for ways to help others and provide whatever is needed before even being asked.
He LOVES sports - He played basketball last winter and is signed up again this January. He played soccer this past spring and fall. He scored about 3 goals a game - he's a stud!
Basketball is his favorite sport - you should see his follow through! Especially now that Daddy and I are coaching, he insists on shooting hoops everyday after Joe gets home from work (or practice) - we have a hoop in our garage. He also comes with me to most practices and sits on my bench with me during games. He loves playing trains, cars, and Rescue Bots with his little brother. He definitely misses playing with him because of school. And although the transition of getting him into the classroom has been tough, upon arrival, he is engaged, adores his teacher and is doing very well in school.
Jackson (just turned 4 in November) is our silly, noisy, funny, playful cuddle bug. He has a sense of humor that no child at that age should grasp yet...the looks, the delayed response...almost like punch lines!
He loves to laugh, play, push around trucks, or hot wheels or trains. He builds and plays with his big brother JJ really well (until he bops him on the head or scratches his back).
He is just a joy and we are so thankful our family is complete with our JackJack.
He is in a 3s Preschool class at ECC (Early Childhood Center). He has the same teachers that all 3 of our other kids also had. He enjoys his teachers and classmates.
He definitely makes this family complete!!
We hope this letter finds you well!
Here's wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!
Visit this blog or become "friends" of Joe or I on Facebook!
http://jandmschmidt.blogspot.com/
Or check out stuff we're a part of:
www.theoaksacademy.org
www.butler.edu
www.cground.org
www.facebook.com
Happy 2015 to you!
Joe, Megan, Joey, Morgan, Jameson and Jackson
No comments:
Post a Comment