2016 Schmidt Year in Review
Our year was full of excitement, as usual.
I (Megan) feel this year has been one of growth, focus, friendship, endurance, overcoming and accomplishment.
As I reviewed what I wrote in 2015, I see a great deal of things that have stayed the same and yet I feel SO MUCH has changed....in good ways....
I feel like the daily laundry, getting in a run, engaging with my kids, dinner every night at 5:30pm as well as being mindful of my time spent with my friends, husband and family remains a refreshing, consistent endeavor. (clearly, we are out the baby phase!) I feel like even our travel, camping, family time, and all things that I coordinate within our family to ensure they run smoothly, have continued to come easily, with less stuff required, and more independence on the part of the kids (packing their own bags, making their own breakfast, buckling their own seat belts).
I continue to train at Butler University in the Health and Recreation Center (HRC). I teach First Aid and CPR and am now in a new role where I oversee the entire program. I'm officially called the Risk Management Coordinator. Additionally, I have taken on an Adjunct Professor role teaching 4 classes this Fall - Basketball (2 sections), Strength and Conditioning and Badminton/Tennis Skill Series. I greatly enjoy being in the classroom again and look forward to hopefully continuing as an Adjunct.
I am the Head Girls Basketball Coach for both the Varsity and Junior Varsity basketball teams at the Oaks Academy. I have girls who do their best, play their hardest and represent the Sum, Posum, Debeo, Ero philosophy of our school, daily. (I am, I can, I ought, I will.) I absolutely LOVE coaching again!
Joe is best described as BUSY. Finishing his 11th year at IMPA, he has taken on some big projects and excels at everything he does there. He is Vice President of IMPA Service Corp (ISC) and it has brought many challenges and opportunities that Joe thrives at.
His is back at Circle City Sound singing and has had opportunities to sing, perform and practice throughout the year - even Joey joined him in singing Tags at Paynetown and Brigade this year. And he now gets to take Joey with him to Chorus each Monday.
If Joe isn't working or singing - he's spending every minute with his kids while fixing, digging, moving or burning something around the house - in the name of Home Improvement!
He just amazes me. I am SO THANKFUL for him!
Joey (11 years old) is in Sixth grade at The Oaks. He LOVES school. He excels in reading, science and math. He is a sponge with any topic that comes along. He loves being in Middle School and is active in Cross Country, Basketball and plans to run track. He also plays the trombone in the school band and continues to take piano outside of school.
His favorite things are playing the piano (he's in weekly lessons), reading books, writing his own songs on the piano, running, riding his bike, and listening to his HD radio and the Classical Music Station every night. His favorite TV shows are Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy.
Morgan (9 years old) is in Fourth Grade at The Oaks. She likes school - but more so because she gets to play, organize, lead, talk, and hang out with her many, many friends. She is our social butterfly (I have no idea where she gets it!). :)
She is doing well with her reading, spelling, writing, and LOVES her teacher, Mr. Hahn and her classmates.
She is passionate in her story telling, and concerned and involved in the friendships and relationships in her life. She loves to create, cut with scissors, color, paint, play in mud, play in water and get messy. She loves being outside, barefoot, hair everywhere, gathering leaves, potting soil, digging in dirt and collecting rocks, feathers, tumbleweeds and shells. She took a pottery class last winter and will do so again this winter as well - she LOVES getting dirty and creating things!
She is taking piano lessons and very involved in Swim Team at the Rivi.
She has officially quit sucking her fingers (thanks to the expander that was put in her mouth in August).
Jameson (7 years old) is in Second Grade at The Oaks Academy. This sweet, tender-hearted boy is doing GREAT with his wonderful class and amazing teacher, Miss Nussbaum. (he gets to have her 2 years in a row!)
He is rough and tumble, yet sweet and sensitive. He is a servant - always listening for ways to help others and provide whatever is needed before even being asked.
He LOVES sports - He plays basketball. He is often my "assistant" during Basketball Extra and Open Gyms and wants to come to all my practices too.
You should see his follow through!
He is either shooting hoops, playing football or kicking a soccer ball every time he is outside. He loves playing trains, cars, and Rescue Bots with his little brother too.
Jackson (just turned 6 in November) is our silly, noisy, funny, playful cuddle bug. He has a sense of humor that no child at that age should grasp yet...the looks, the delayed response...almost like punch lines!
He loves to laugh, play, push around trucks, or hot wheels or trains. He builds and plays with his big brother JJ really well (until he bops him on the head or scratches his back).
He is just a joy and we are so thankful our family is complete with our JackJack.
He is in Kindergarten at the Oaks and has Mrs. Holmes. He enjoys his teachers and classmates. He definitely makes this family complete!!
Sammy (70 in dog years) just joined our family in late October. My Gram Young fell and broke her hip and it is probably just too much for her to care for Sammy too (she needs to focus on recovery for herself). We are happy to have him and having a pet has brought our family great job. He is such a sweet and easy dog and I am thankful we have had such an easy adjustment to having another living thing in our home. It's a blessing to care for him.
We hope this letter finds you well!
Here's wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!
Visit this blog or become "friends" of Joe or I on Facebook!
http://jandmschmidt.blogspot.com/
Or check out stuff we're a part of:
http://meganschmidt.juiceplus.com
www.theoaksacademy.org
www.butler.edu
www.facebook.com
Happy 2017 to you!
Joe, Megan, Joey, Morgan, Jameson, Jackson and our newest addition - Sammy!
No comments:
Post a Comment