Sunday, November 26, 2017

2017 Year in Review

2017 Schmidt Year in Review

Our year was full of excitement, as usual. 


I (Megan) feel this year has been one of growth, focus, friendship, endurance, overcoming and accomplishment.

As I reviewed what I wrote in 2016, I see a great deal of things that have stayed the same and yet I feel SO MUCH has changed....in good ways....
I feel like the daily laundry, getting in a run, engaging with my kids, dinner every night at 5:30pm as well as being mindful of my time spent with my friends, husband and family remains a refreshing, consistent endeavor.  Although, because of basketball season starting, dinner is closer to 6:30pm now!  Our travel, camping, family time, and all things that I coordinate within our family to ensure they run smoothly, have continued to come easily, with less stuff required, and more independence on the part of the kids (packing their own bags, making their own breakfast, buckling their own seat belts and truly managing themselves).

I continue to train at Butler University in the Health and Recreation Center (HRC).  I teach First Aid and CPR and continue to oversee the entire program.  I'm officially called the Risk Management Coordinator.  Additionally, I continue to teach as an Adjunct Professor role teaching 6 credots this Fall - Basketball (2 sections), Badminton/Tennis Skill Series and am now an Intern Supervisor to 3 soon to be graduating seniors.  I greatly enjoy being in the classroom (and court) and truly enjoy walking alongside these seniors.  I am already set to teach basketball again in the Spring and Adapted PE & Sport, as well.

In April I took on a new coaching role at Cathedral High School.  I am the Varsity Assistant and Junior Varsity Head Coach for the Lady Irish basketball teams. Although I was sad to leave the Oaks, where I started the girls basketball program, I know God gave me (us) this opportunity to serve in this new, dynamic way.  Coaching High School girls is much different from Middle School, but my days as a college coach definitely prepared me and I am daily reminded how much I LOVE coaching!

Joe is best described as BUSY.  Finishing his 12th year at IMPA, he has taken on some big projects and excels at everything he does there.  He is Vice President of IMPA Service Corp (ISC) and it has brought many challenges and opportunities that Joe thrives at. The ISC has plans to grow to over 25 employees in 2018 - all because Joe is really good at what he does and he knows how to build a great team.

His is back at Circle City Sound singing and has had opportunities to sing, perform and practice throughout the year - he and Joey greatly enjoy their Monday nights together.  And in 2017 their chorus qualified for Internationals in Las Vegas, Nevada - finishing 23rd in the world with Joe and Joey having LEAD ROLES in the 2 song performance! 

Besides Chorus, he has been recruited to join a solid quartet.  Ken, Chad, Kurt and Joe have named themselves Seventh Degree and at their first try at District Convention this March they came in 2nd place! We have big plans for them to qualify for Internationals in 2018 so we can go to Orlando, FL! (we'll see what 2018 Year in Review includes!)

If Joe isn't working or singing - he's spending every minute with his kids while fixing, digging, moving or burning something around the house - in the name of Home Improvement! 
He just amazes me.  I am SO THANKFUL for him!

Joey (12 years old) is in Seventh grade at The Oaks.  He LOVES school.  He excels in reading, science and math.  He is a sponge with any topic that comes along.  He loves being in Middle School and is active in Cross Country and Track and Field (he decided against basketball this year because of his braces).  He is a choir major for music and is planning to participate again in the school play next semester.

His favorite things are playing the piano (he's in weekly lessons), reading books, writing his own songs on the piano, running, riding his bike, and listening to his HD radio and the Classical Music Station every night.  His favorite TV shows are Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy.  Recently, his dad uploaded Audacity to our computer and so he is now RECORDING his own voice and overlaying it to create barbershop harmony with all 4 parts (yes, he can sing all four parts!).

Morgan (10 years old) is in Fifth Grade at The Oaks.  She likes school - but more so because she gets to play, organize, lead, talk, and hang out with her many, many friends.  She is our social butterfly (I have no idea where she gets it!).  :)
She is doing well with her reading, spelling, writing, and LOVES Latin.

She is passionate in her story telling, and concerned and involved in the friendships and relationships in her life.  She loves to create, cut with scissors, color, paint, play in mud, play in water and get messy.  She loves being outside, barefoot, hair everywhere, gathering leaves, potting soil, digging in dirt and collecting rocks, feathers, tumbleweeds and shells. She took a pottery class last winter and will do so again this winter as well - she LOVES getting dirty and creating things!

She has finished up being on the Swim Team at the Rivi to instead focus on Cross Country and soon basketball.  She also plans to run Track & Field in the Spring. 

She is growing like crazy and is already in size 10 (women's) shoes.


Jameson (8 years old) is in Third Grade at The Oaks Academy.  This sweet, tender-hearted boy is doing GREAT with his wonderful class and amazing teachers.  He is rough and tumble, yet sweet and sensitive.  He is a servant - always listening for ways to help others and provide whatever is needed before even being asked. 

He LOVES sports - He plays basketball.  He is often my "assistant" when he comes to my practices and Open Gyms. You should see his follow through!
This year he really took to baseball.  He played second base in Little League and then once he made the All-Stars he played outfield.  He is quite a hitter and really has a knack for the game.  It is so fun to spend our summer days sitting on the bleachers watching him play!
He also played soccer (and baseball!) this fall - which he excelled at.
He is always shooting hoops, playing football, playing catch or kicking a soccer ball every time he is outside.  Luckily he still loves playing trains and cars with his little brother too. 

Jackson (just turned 7 in November) is our silly, noisy, funny, playful cuddle bug.  He has a sense of humor that no child at that age should grasp yet...the looks, the delayed response...almost like punch lines! 
He loves to laugh, play, push around trucks, or hot wheels or trains.  He builds and plays with his big brother JJ really well (until he bops him on the head or scratches his back). 
He is just a joy and we are so thankful our family is complete with our JackJack.
He is in First Grade at the Oaks. He enjoys his teachers and classmates. 

He also played baseball this Spring, then soccer this fall.  He is signed up to play basketball this winter too.

Sammy (77 in dog years) has been with us for a year now.  We are happy to have him and having a pet has brought our family great joy.  He is such a sweet and easy dog.  It's a blessing to care for him.

We hope this letter finds you well!
Here's wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

Visit this blog or become "friends" of Joe or I on Facebook!
http://jandmschmidt.blogspot.com/

Or check out stuff we're a part of:
http://meganschmidt.juiceplus.com
www.theoaksacademy.org
www.butler.edu
www.facebook.com

No comments: