2018 Schmidt Year in Review
Our year was unique and hard and wonderful.
I (Megan) feel like I was in a bit of a fog and transition to a new normal.
As I reviewed what I wrote in 2017, I see a great deal of things that have stayed the same and yet I feel SO MUCH has changed....
The day my Dad had his aneurysm, life as I knew it and how I functioned changed dramatically. A big piece of how this household ran was the help and support of my parents, especially my Dad and so with that now gone, life has just been, well, harder. But I daily thank God that he is still with us and am so thankful for the ways that my Mom and brother have filled the large gap of my Dad not being exactly who he once was.
I can still coach basketball (I am now the Varsity Assistant coach at Cathedral HS). Although the juggle to get the 4 kids to and from has been much more difficult and I have had to rely on others to help more than ever.
I continue to train at Butler University in the Health and Recreation Center (HRC). I teach First Aid and CPR and continue to oversee the entire program. I'm officially called the Risk Management Coordinator. Additionally, I continue to teach as an Adjunct Professor role teaching just 2 credits this Fall - Basketball (2 sections).
I have had the gift of witnessing the Hand of God intervene through the prayer and petition of those who raised up my father's life to our Savior. I am thankful for everything I have and hold tightly to the many blessings that surround me. I appreciate the gracious servants who care for our kids, check up on me and ask about my Dad, love my family well and continue to pray for his full recovery. It has been a hard year, but one FULL of God's Presence.
Joe is best described as BUSY. Finishing his 13th year at IMPA, he has taken on some big projects and excels at everything he does there. He is Vice President of IMPA Service Corp (ISC) and it has brought many challenges and opportunities that Joe thrives at.
His is back at Circle City Sound singing and has had opportunities to sing, perform and practice throughout the year - he and Joey greatly enjoy their Monday nights together.
Besides Chorus, he has been recruited to join a solid quartet. Ken, Chad, Kurt and Joe have named themselves Seventh Degree. We have big plans for them to qualify for Internationals in 2019 so we can go to Salt Lake City, Utah! (we'll see what 2019 Year in Review includes!)
If Joe isn't working or singing - he's spending every minute with his kids while fixing, digging, moving or burning something around the house - in the name of Home Improvement! The Deck was his greatest hardship and accomplishment this year - it's AMAZING!
He just amazes me. I am SO THANKFUL for him!
Joey (13 years old) is in Eigth grade at The Oaks. He LOVES school. He excels in reading, science and math. He is now a solid 6'1 and I now look eye to eye with him. He is one of the tallest kids in his class. He loves being in Middle School and is active in Cross Country and Track and Field. He is a choir major for music and is planning to participate again in the school play next semester.
His favorite things are playing the piano (he's in weekly lessons), reading books, writing his own songs on the piano, running, and listening to his HD radio and the Classical Music Station every night. His favorite TV shows are Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy. Although he does now have a cell phone yet, we have allowed him to get an Instagram account.
Morgan (11 years old) is in Sixth Grade at The Oaks. She likes school - but more so because she gets to play, organize, lead, talk, and hang out with her many, many friends. She is doing well with her reading, spelling, writing, and LOVES Latin and Math (she is in the highest Math for a 6th grader called Accelerated Math II).
She is passionate in her story telling, and concerned and involved in the friendships and relationships in her life. She loves to create, cut with scissors, color, paint, play in mud, play in water and get messy. She loves being outside, barefoot, hair everywhere, gathering leaves, potting soil, digging in dirt and collecting rocks, feathers, tumbleweeds and shells.
She played Volleyball this Fall and I think we have finally found her sport. She made a U12 non-travel volleyball team at a Club called The Academy. We are excited to see how she grows in her skills and love for the game of Volleyball. She also plans to do Drama Club this spring.
She is growing like crazy and is already in size 11 (women's) shoes.
Jameson (9 years old) is in Fourth Grade at The Oaks Academy. This sweet, tender-hearted boy is doing GREAT with his wonderful class and amazing teachers. He is rough and tumble, yet sweet and sensitive. He is a servant - always listening for ways to help others and provide whatever is needed before even being asked.
He LOVES sports - He plays basketball. He is often my "assistant" when he comes to my practices and Open Gyms. You should see his follow through!
This year he really took to baseball. He played in Skiles Test Little League and even played pitcher a few times. He is quite a hitter and really has a knack for the game. It is so fun to spend our summer days sitting on the bleachers watching him play!
He also played soccer (and baseball!) this fall - which he excelled at and his team won the Championship.
He is always shooting hoops, playing football, playing catch or kicking a soccer ball every time he is outside.
Jackson (just turned 8 in November) is our silly, noisy, funny, playful cuddle bug. He has a sense of humor that no child at that age should grasp yet...the looks, the delayed response...almost like punch lines!
He is just a joy and we are so thankful our family is complete with our JackJack. He is in Second Grade at the Oaks. He enjoys his teachers and classmates.
He also played baseball this Spring and Fall, then soccer this fall. His team won the Championship too! He is signed up to play basketball this winter too.
Sammy (84 in dog years) has been with us for a few years now. We are happy to have him and having a pet has brought our family great joy. He is such a sweet and easy dog. It's a blessing to care for him.
We hope this letter finds you well!
Here's wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!
Visit this blog or become "friends" of Joe or I on Facebook!
http://jandmschmidt.blogspot.com/
Or check out stuff we're a part of:
www.theoaksacademy.org
www.butler.edu
www.gocathedral.org
www.impa.com
No comments:
Post a Comment